Sometimes being fast and frugal are necessary things. When I became a mother for the first time, I discovered that one of the most useful tools in my kitchen was a slow cooker I had received as a bridal shower gift almost five years earlier. Since this discovery, I’ve purchased two other slow cookers (one as a replacement) and an additional insert. I like to meal prep once a week, and most weeks I’m prepping two meals that I’ll cook in the slow cooker.
If you’re meal prepping this Friday, here are two meals that use as the main source of protein one large value pack of chicken breast.
Chicken Soup for Your Soul
Place 3-4 whole raw chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker and coat with white pepper, dried basil, Italian seasonings, and cumin.
- 2 diced onions
- 6 diced carrots
- 5 ribs of celery, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 1 15oz can of cannellini beans
- 1 quart of chicken broth
Cook on low for 9 hours. Remove the chicken and shred. Add back to the soup. Add 1 15oz can of coconut milk and the juice of one lime. Taste for salt/pepper.
When you get home, boil some water and cook either rice or pasta to add to the soup.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Place 3-4 chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker – coat them in cumin
- 2 15oz cans of black beans- drained
- 1 15oz can of corn – drained
- For the vegetarians add this instead of chicken – 2 15oz cans of pinto – drained
- 1 15oz can diced tomato
- 1 can diced green chili – you can find this in the taco section
- 1 mashed chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (if you want more spice add more) – also in the taco section
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- Salt (to your taste)
- 1 quart of broth
Cook on low for 9 hours – take chicken out and shred and add back to soup.
Serve and top with:
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded taco or Mexican cheese